Translated as "Maybe tomorrow" in the local dialect, the lodge uses the stunning natural surroundings to create an idyllic island lodge of unique character and imagination. Kaya Mawa is located on Likoma Island, in the middle of Lake Malawi close to Mozambique, and is covered with mango trees and ancient baobabs and encircled by glorious sandy beaches and rocky coves. Recently completely renovated with beautiful refurbishments and reopened in April 2010. It has been rated by Condé Nast Magazine as one of the planet's ten most romantic destinations.
Individually designed, stone and teak-framed thatched accommodation consists of 7 rooms and 4 houses. All with ensuite bathroom, private terrace and either a private plunge pool or direct access to the water. The new beach bar, restaurant and lounge areas are spacious and airy and enjoy undoubtedly the best views on the lake
Rated by Condé Nast Magazine as one of the planet's ten most romantic destinations, Kaya Mawa is located on the south-western tip of Likoma Island in the middle of Lake Malawi, close to Mozambique. The island is covered with mango trees and ancient baobabs and encircled by glorious sandy beaches and rocky coves.
Stone and teak-framed thatched accommodation including two family houses and luxurious houses, ideal for honeymooners.
• 4 x Standard Rooms – Khuyu, Ngani, Mbungu, Msekwa at the bottom of the rocky knoll with private decks
and direct lake.
• 2 x Family Houses - Ulissa & Yofu are also at the back of the main beach under the shade of a baobab or
mango tree. Both family houses have a double and a twin/triple room, an interconnecting bathroom and
outside chill out areas.
• 3 x Premium Rooms - Nkwhazi, Mbamba & Makengulu offer lake views from sleeping areas and
verandahs. Either a private island or one of two rooms perched high up a rocky knoll with a private pool.
• 3 x Houses : -
Mainja House - Private two bedroom house, with sitting room and rock plunge pool.
Madimba House - Private house, with sitting rooms, views across the lake and private infinty pool and at the far end of the beach for added privacy.
Ndomo Point House - Four bedrooms, 3 en-suites, sitting room, family kitchen, 5
terraces, study, pool, private beach, and full use of Kaya Mawa facilities. Approx.1 km from the lodge.
• Walking or biking around the island is a must. The local population is legendary both for its friendliness and
thus a simple unescorted stroll around the island perhaps with a few cold drinks and snacks is a wonderful
experience where one can stop off to swim en route, engage the locals in conversation and visit the cathedral,
local school and the lively market nearby. Take a stroll to the local textile project, Katundu - www.katundu.net.
Mountain bikes are available for use.
• The waters around the lodge are both safe and clear (free of hippos) and swimming and snorkelling are on
offer - some of the best fresh water snorkelling in the world is right here(snorkels and masks are provided).
• Kayaking, windsurfing and sailing (3 lasers and a laser 2)
Diving - Kaya Mawa is also a PADI acredited dive centre with two in house PADI dive instructors. The centre
is able to teach courses all the way from a 3 hour discovery dive to Dive Master. With some of the best fresh water
diving in the world and some 11 recognised dive sites nearby.
• Watersports - Three boats available for wakeboarding, waterskiing and kneeboarding.
• Kaya Mawa has a qualified sailing instructor in-house, plus waterski instructor.
• Quad biking
Kaya Mawa welcomes children of all ages and offer excellent reduced child rates.
• Restaurant is set to one side of the bar and is used for buffet breakfasts and lunches. Kaya Mawa has many
unique areas where dinners are served – on a beach, a deck, platform or on the gazebo. An eclectric mix of
simple and delicious international cuisine enjoyed at your own private surprise table.
• The bar & restaurant are split into a multi level deck and offers seating at the bar or comfy sofas.
• Bar, just metres from the water, offers fantastic sunset views all the way to the south of the lake.
• Beach bar
• Business Centre – quiet office with wireless internet connectivity, computers, scanners, printers and telephone.