Where is it?
Benguerra Island is the second largest island in the Bazaruto Archipelago, lying 15km northeast of Vilanculos.
- Access by air – Flights from Johannesburg to Vilanculos currently five times a week
- Kruger to Vilanculos – currently twice a week
- Flights also available from Maputo
- Vilanculos to Azura Benguerra is a 10 minute scenic helicopter flight.
why go there?
For island life with unspoiled white sand and turquoise warm waters within the Bazaruto Marine Reserve, Azura Benguerra offers world-class scuba diving and snorkelling with expert local guides, deep sea fishing, dhow sunset cruises, and, of course, their signature island hop by speedboat with a private beach picnic on a deserted island and snorkel on the famous aquarium reef.
For Community - Azura is built on the principle of investing in the local community. This resonates throughout the property, giving guests a wonderful "sense of place" - you are in Mozambique! A highlight for the local children is to show their singing and dancing skills every Saturday at the lodge. Guests can head to the local football pitch on Sundays to join in on a game.
For Romance – For amazing honeymoon offers - Stay 5 nights or more and the bride will receive a 40% discount
Built entirely by hand in partnership with the local community, it has just 18 villas, each with their own private pool stretching out to the Indian Ocean beyond, and designed for the ultimate undiscovered getaway. Each is just footsteps from the beach, yet designed with seclusion in mind. Pure beachfront bliss!
What can I do?
Azura offers a range of outdoor guest activities, by boat or landrover, with light refreshments and drinks provided. A number of these are guided activities where you have a real chance to learn about the wonderful environment that surrounds us here at Azura. Guided activities are accompanied by our Local Guides who know this area intimately. Activity duration & departure times listed over the following pages are used only as a guideline and can usually be specially tailored to suit your schedule or interests.
Red Dune & Crocodile Lakes Island Drive (By Land Rover Game Viewer Vehicles).
- Red Dune, Dune Hike, Crocodile Lakes and Attendant
- Traditional Villages and Local Community
- Island’s Rich Fauna, Flora, and Topography, Indigenous Tree Species of the Region, and Wild Fruits to Taste
- Optional: Local School Project (Weekdays) or local Church Visit (Sundays)
- Refreshments & Drinks service at the Wild Side Beach
- All interpreted by Azura’s Local Community Guides
Guided Island Hopping (By Speedboat). Highlights Include:
- Ponto Dundo and Bazaruto Dune
- Snorkelling Two-Mile Reef and ‘The Aquarium’
- Pansy Island at Leisure
- North Point Picnic Lunch
Paradise Island (By Speedboat). Highlights Include:
- Spot Dolphins and Dugongs on the way
- Tour the Island and the remains of the old hotel and church
- Snorkelling in Paradise Island’s calm waters, right off the beach, with an amazing variety of sea life
- Paradise Island Beach Picnic
The Bazaruto Archipelago has some of the best big game, reef and bill fishing in the Indian Ocean. Species include: Marlin, Sailfish, Tuna/Bonito, King/Queen Mackerel, Prodigal Son, Wahoo, Dorado, and Barracuda. Giant Trevally (GT’s), the local specialty, often top the scales above 25kg. Azura caters for beginner and experienced fishermen/women alike, and operates a strict tag and release policy on protected species.
The reefs in the Bazaruto Archipelago are abundant with a variety of fish and corals, and offer a range of depths and reef topography to suit beginner and experienced divers alike. Azura is positioned close to the reefs and hence access is quick and easy. The marine life and corals are often cited as the best off the East Coast of Africa. There are seasonal visits from whale sharks, manta rays and humpback whales and their calves and you regularly see loggerhead, green and hawksbill turtles, reef sharks, stingrays, devil rays and moray eels as well as a variety of reef fish such as grouper, bat fish, surgeons, puffers, moorish idols, parrot fish, clown fish, trigger fish and chocolate dip fish. Azura has a PADI 5 Star Dive Centre with top of the range Scubapro equipment.