WHERE IS IT?
Gibb’s Farm is located on the outside slope of the crater, 30 minutes away from the Ngorongoro Conservation Area or one hour to the floor of the crater.
What is special about Gibbs Farm?
Gibb’s Farm offer rustic luxury accommodations in a historic 1920’s coffee farm setting. The cozy, inviting cottages feature eucalyptus floors, hand-crafted furniture, wrap-around windows, indoor and outdoor showers, fireplaces and private verandas. Guests can immerse themselves in the gently rhythms of the farm and rich traditions of African life, exclusive to Gibbs Farm, and share an eternal sense of history and community and yet still spend an awesome day exploring the Ngorongoro Crater. There are stunning gardens and exceptional bird life.
What type of accommodation?
17 really elegant cottages and 2 two bedroom cottages. Each cottage is beautifully decorated to depict a theme, with artwork commissioned through the farm’s artist-in-residence program. Each cottage features a unique theme and richly appointed with eucalyptus floors, hand-crafted furniture, two queen-size beds, indoor and outdoor showers, a fireplace and private veranda—provide an elegant home away from home, with all of the cozy comforts.
What can I do?
- Spend a day exploring and viewing the wildlife of the Ngorongoro Crater
- Relax in the indulgent Spa at Gibbs Farm
- Enjoy interesting and inspiring guided walks on the farm
- Indigenous Medicinal Walk -Collecting herbs on the farm. Indigenous Maasai healers lead you through the Ngorongoro Forest, where you will hear about Olemoran, Olaiyapiyap and Osinoni—just a few of over 20 medicinal plants described on the walk. Commonly used in Tanzania to treat health problems, these and other herbal medicines are used at Osero Clinic, the farm’s healthcare centre.
- Cultural Journey A chance to meet a neighbour
- Outing to Tloma, a nearby village, where you have the opportunity to meet a local family and learn about Iraqw culture and traditional ways of life. Discover the age-old process of making pots, try your hand at pounding grain and taste the local brew.
- Hippo Pools Sunset Safari Outing
Hippo pools in Lake Manyara
After an early lunch, experience a guided afternoon drive through the famous Manyara National Park to see hippos gathered at sunset at the Hippo Pools. Enjoy drinks and snacks as you marvel at these magnificent creatures.